Information on the HAGA Africa University Strengthening Fund
In honor of our 25th reunion, HAGA has created this fund to provide direct support to an African University in the AIDS belt. The beneficiary of this fund will be the Dar es Salaam University College of Education (DUCE), a constituent College of the University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM) in Tanzania. UDSM was this year ranked best University in Sub-Saharan Africa (i.e., north of the Limpopo River and south of the Saharan Desert). For more information on UDSM, please visit the University's website: University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Technical assistance and oversight of this fund will be provided principally by the Carnegie Corporation of New York, which has been working closely with the University and funding its strategic planning implementation since 2001.
- In 2005, the government of Tanzania established DUCE to address an acute shortage of high school teachers and experts in the education sector, especially in the sciences, mathematics and languages. DUCE is to be a center of excellence in teacher education, curriculum development and educational policy. For more detailed information on DUCE, click on DUCE Profile and Priority Needs
- The HAGA fund will assist DUCE to address four priority needs:
- Acquiring teaching materials and classroom equipment (e.g., books, journals, desks, chairs, overhead projectors, photocopiers)
- Setting up an information technology training center and lab (including computers, Internet connection, software, manuals, consultancy services)
- Building capacity among key faculty and staff through scholarships for advanced study for lecturers with B.A. or Masters degrees and short courses for administrators, accounting and library staff
- Alleviating gender imbalance through development of college preparatory curricula and programs in science and mathematics, with special focus on raising the performance of female students in high school, to be field tested in selected schools
- Administrative support will be provided by Human Rights Education Associates, Inc. (HREA), a non-profit, tax-exempt organization in the U.S. with 501(c)(3) status. HAGA is grateful to Felisa Tibbitts '81, Executive Director of HREA, for offering these services.
How to Donate
Harvard alumni and all other donors wishing to support this HAGA fund should:
- Make US$ checks out to Human Rights Education Associates
- Write "HAGA Fund" in the memo line
- Mail the check to:
Human Rights Education Associates (HREA)
689 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139-3302
PLEASE NOTE: A donation to HREA in the U.S. is tax-deductible, but will not count as participation toward a Harvard class gift.